Dried beef is such an iteresting and versitile product. It's appearance or the fact that it is shelf stable may not seem very appetizing but the fact remains that this beef creates some delicous and CHEAP meals. Don't be turnes off by the salty initial taste of the meat, it will be reduced in the process of making the gravy and turn into a lovely breakfast. This recipe has been apart of family tradition since the coal mining day's when budgets were tight and appetites were hearty. This is a great Christmas morning breakfast allternative for those who prefer savory to sweet.
- 2 Package Armour Sliced Dried Beef
- 2 Cup of Milk
- 4 Tbsp of Butter
- 4 Tbsp of Flour
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper
1. Start by making a roux. If you don’t know what that means, a roux is basically a thickener, you use it for creamy soups and gravy for more flavor and zero lumps. Melt the butter in your pan and when it starts to turn a golden color mix your flour in slowly one tablespoon at a time until the mixture clumps together and gets a pasty texture. Cook the roux until it is golden brown but do not burn.
2. Add milk in slowly, just a little at a time and stir constantly. Continue until all of the milk has be used and the mixtures takes on a gravy appearance
3. Add your spices and chopped dried beef and cook 5-8 minutes longer.
4. Enjoy over toasts or biscuits whichever your family prefers! Scrambled eggs are a great addition.
12 Day’s and 12 Way’s of BEEF Recipes
Day 2: Smokey Beef Back Ribs
Day 3: Crockpot London Broil
Day 4: Crockpot Philly
Day 5: Homemade Beef Sausage
Day 6: Beef Sausage Lasagna
Day 7: Crème Chipped Beef
Day 8: Roast Beef Hash
Day 9: Beef Pad Thai
Day 10: Chicago Steakhouse Sandwich
Day 11: Creamy Beef and Noodles
Day 12: Herb Crusted Prime Rib